BCCA’s Apprenticeship Services is a major industry-wide drive supporting small and medium construction employers to hire and register first-year apprentices.
Employers can receive cash payments for hiring and registering first-year apprentices in any of these 39 Red Seal Trades.
In addition to these financial incentives, the BCCA will be conducting a major promotional campaign to attract new talent to the industry starting in October of 2022.
Employers* can receive payments for:
- Hiring a new employee & registering them as a first-year apprentice
- Registering an existing employee as a first-year apprentice
- Switching an existing apprentice or journeyperson into a different Red Seal trade as a first-year apprentice
*Only employers with less than 500 employees are eligible
Payments will be:
- $5,000 for hiring and/or registering a first-year apprentice
- An additional $5,000 for contributing to workforce diversity by hiring or registering any worker who self-reports as:
- A woman
- A new Canadian
- A person with a disability
- A visible minority
Employers can receive payments for up to 2 employees per year during the 2 years of the campaign, for a maximum of up to $40,000.
Employers will have full discretion in how they spend the funds. (Some suggestions include: Hiring bonus, gear & work apparel, safety equipment, offset the cost of sick leave, training and mentoring, professional development, raises for field or office staff)